Friday, July 16

Preslee...

I have been following Preslee's story this week, and my heart has been torn apart for the family. In my job I deal a lot with life and death and tragedies, but I can't think of anything that has stuck with me so much as this. Preslee passed away today after struggling for her life at Primary Children's this past week. At times she has seemed to be doing better, and then it seemed like she was barely hanging on to life. I can't even begin to imagine how I could deal with something like this had it been Sydney in that hospital room. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. Her parents have been so strong in all of this. It has definitely left an impression in my life and Preslee will always have a special place in my heart. I wrote them a comment that I'd like to share. I felt very strongly I had to write something to them to show my love and support to their situation.



"People come into this world with a purpose. We don't know what that is, and we don't know when that purpose will be fulfilled, but I strongly believe that your beautiful little girl has done more in her short time on earth than anyone could hope to do in a lifetime. Her story, her fight for life, has reached thousands of people and has changed countless lives, and will continue to do so. My gut has been in knots, and my heart torn apart, for all that you are going through. A friend of mine also lost their little girl early from this life, and the family had me in awe. They all wore white to her funeral instead of the traditional black. The father spoke and said, "We do not mourn the loss of our child, but celebrate her life and the opportunity we had of knowing her for as long as we did. She has touched so many lives and we would never trade the time we were allowed to have with her." Celebrate Preslee's life. Celebrate knowing all the lives she has touched, all the families that she has brought closer together, and most of all, all the people she has brought closer to her Heavenly Father. Do not be sad for her. She could not be happier where she is. She will always be with you and watching over you. Be happy knowing she stands in Heaven holding His hand. She has fulfilled her purpose in life. She was born onto this earth at this time for something greater than anyone could have hoped for. Be proud of Preslee, and remember that when you see her again, she will be running into your arms and welcoming you home. The EMS community here in Salt Lake is a little more quiet today and holds you in their thoughts and hearts. Be strong"

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Jo your comment brought tears to my eyes. I debated over what to say that would possibly let them know how much their story affected me. You said it perfectly.

The Andelin's said...

Thanks. It was hard to write, but I hope it gives them an idea of what everyone is feeling for them.